Deus Ex Mankind Divided MOD: Hardcore Revival
The MOD Hardcore Revival is a mod which tries to improve the
of Deus Ex Mankind Divided.
This isn't a visual mod and it doesn't
change how the game looks visually.
The mod Hardcore Revival 1.022 for Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Here are the changes made by the version 1.022 of the mod
Hardcore Revival to DXMD's gameplay :
1) Items :
- Effects changed for some items (Ex: Amount of energy
recovered by the biocells).
- Inventory mod: Size, stacking and price of the items changed.
- The amount of spare parts needed to craft multitools, biocells, mine
devices, thyphoon ammos,...
- The blurred vision effects after drinking a beverage now last only
- Hypo-stimjector and painkillers can't give additional health points
2) Weapons :
- The characteristics of the weapons have been
changed (Damage, reloading time, recoil, rate of fire, range).
- The weapons customizations (How many spares parts are needed and how
much their capacity are improved).
- The weapons mods (Scope, Silencer,...) : What bonus and malus they
give to the firearms.
- The visual (text) stats of the weapons have been changed so they
match the weapons' real characteristics (Now what you see is what you
- The rare Cote d'Azur rifle is now a very powerful weapon.
3) Augmentations :
- The mod changes how many praxis are needed to enable
Adam Jensen's augmentations.
- A few major augmentations are now disabled at the start of the game
can be enabled later with praxis kits.
- The rebreather augmentation now doesn't consume energy anymore.
- The radar HUD doesn't display characters, turrets and robots anymore
: It now just shows the environment, the objectives locations and if
the zones are public or restricted.
- The TESLA augmentation now just can eliminate 2 enemies at once
(instead of 4, previously).
- The player can stay invisible for a shorter time now and it's not
possible anymore to do a takedown and stay invisible.
- Takedowns now use zero energy but most of them can be done only if
the player is very close to the targets.
- The upgrades of the experimental augmentations add +50 to the
4) Experience points rewards :
- The amount of xp received by the player for completing
quests, for winning or losing conversation battles or for performing
actions like knocking out enemies, hacking computers or consoles,
reading notebooks or exploring secret areas has been changed. The mod
makes the experience points system more balanced.
5) IA :
- The characters react faster.
- Some of the player's actions do more noise (and so there is more
chance to be heard by enemies and civilians npcs).
More details about the mod
Hardcore Revival 1.022 is a complete inventory mod : All
playable items and weapons have been modded, including the special EMP
ammos and DLC weapons.
- Some items stack more but the powerful ammos stack less and the
weapons take slightly more inventory space..
- But there
is an optional version of the mod where the weapons have their original
size and all the ammos stack up to 500 and the items to 50.
For the weapon modifications :
Their base stats and their
maximized stats have been modded.
Some examples of the changes made :
- Fully customized, the revolver's magazine can now contain only 7
bullets (Instead of 17).
- Otar's custom Revolver is now a little bit more powerful.
- The mod changes the Côte d'Azur Combat Rifle (which was pretty
useless) into a powerful weapon.
- The Devastator Shotgun is a little more powerful now (as the Armor
Piercing ammo for the Shotgun are rare).
- The Tranquilizer Rifle has now a better range so the player can use
it to snipe the closest NPCs from the top of the Atrium in the Dubail
- The Elite Zenith Pistol's damage has been nerfed so it is equal to
the normal version of the Elite Pistol.
- Customizing the Elite Combat Rifle and the Elite Revolver now require
a lots of spare parts
(as fully upgraded, this weapon is very powerful).
- When equipped with a silencer, the Lancer Rifle's power has been
nerfed : Now to eliminate armored enemies with one hit you need a
headshot when the silenced is on.
For the augmentations :
- The radar augmentation doesn't display targets anymore
the smart vision augmentation necessary to detect enemies).
- The health regeneration aug is disabled but it can be enabled after
the first visit to Koller, if you choose to spend praxis kit in it.
- The player's health is now a little bit lower as hypo-stimjectors and
painkillers don't give additional points. And since the additional
health points given by the drinks gradually decreases, it results in a
bit less health. But the funny side of this is that now, it's
advantageous to have a drink or two before a fight :)
- FOCUS now lasts less time (as this aug was really overpowered) and it
works best if the aiming upgrades is enabled.
- Cloaking has been nerfed a lot as in the base game, it was possible
to cross a whole level unchallenged, just by staying invisible (For
example, at Garm).
- Takedowns (melee attacks) too have been nerfed : They are more
difficult to pull, it is not possible anymore to stay invisible while
doing them and it is necessary to be very close to the targets to do
them. For more practicability however, they don't cost any energy
Basically, the takedowns are still very powerful but not that much
overpowered and it's more practical to use them as it isn't necessary
to use a biocell each time after doing them.
- As for TESLA, this augmentation upgraded to the maximum was really
making the game a walk in the park, so the mod decreases its power a
little and make it "just" very powerful.
- As contrary, the Sarif energy converter augmentation is now more
powerful as 2/3 of the player's energy bar now recharges automatically
(and not just 1/5).
- For the Chaff upgrade, when it is enabled now the grenades and mines
explode after 5 seconds while they are located near the player (while
without it, they explode after 2.5 seconds).
Originally, the delay added by this upgrade was 10 seconds, which was
way too much and made playing with the grenades and mines items a
Now this upgrade is finally useful.
- More praxis kits are needed to unlock Jensen's best
That said, for most augmentations, the increased cost in praxis kits
isn't that big, excepted for a few augmentations which break the game's
difficulty (like the dissassembler aug added by one of Deus Ex Mankind
Anyways, the mod makes it impossible to unlock all praxis kits in one
playthrought so the players have to choose what augmentations they want
to enable, depending on their playstyle.
To unlock everything and make Adam Jensen "complete", you will need to
start a party with the New Game + mode.
- The overheating system is now a bigger factor in the main
campaign as every time the player unlocks any upgrade of an
experimental augmentation, +50 is added to the overclocking.
However, the maximum overheating is capped at +500, so to freely use
experimental augmentations (with glitches, thought) and not lose 2
augmentation due to overheating, the player may have to disable 2
augmentations before Vaclav Koller fixes Jensen with the calibrator.
For the experience rewards :
Even if Deus Ex Mankind Divided is more balanced than Deus Ex
Revolution, its gameplay still favors players who play stealthly,
non-lethally and use the hacking augmentation.
The mod Hardcore Revival 1.022 tries to fix that by changing the amount
of xp received by the player.
A few examples below :
- The player now gets zero experience points for hacking, exploring and
eliminating enemies. But using passwords and codes still grant xp.
- You get the same amount of Xp whether you win or lose a conversation
battle. Wannabe a Jackass like JC Denton ? Yes, you can (Now ;).
Now about the level of difficulty : The Mod increases a little
difficulty, but don't worry, it won't make the game unplayable. Far
from it (It is still too easy IMHO :).
1) The mod increases the game's difficulty by making fighting
and stealth a little bit harder :
To play without seeing any targets displayed on the wayfinder
radar HUD minimap makes the game more challenging as you can't see the
enemy NPCs. Now the only way to know
where hiding enemies are is to use the Smart Vision augmentation but
it's a costly augmentation.
Starting the game without the health regeneration enabled also makes
the game harder and if you enable it after the prologue, you lose 5
As contrary, most experimental augmentations only require a few praxis
kits to be enabled (to counterbalance the overclocking malus.
The characters also react very fast and see from a bigger distance. And
even thought only some of the actions done by the player make more
noise, it still increases the chance to be heard by enemies.
2) The game makes also the gameplay more challenging by
altering the economy :
- Now, it is more complicated to get rich easily (You will
have to work harder to get theses 4
praxis kits from Tars).
Here is how the was achieved :
- Common items and weapons are very cheap, while rare items and
sellables items linked to the augmentations technology (like
Neuropozyne, hydraulic micropump, stem processor ship, ect...) have a
- The hypo-stimjectors, painkillers, biocells and beverages recover
less energy and health points : So you need to consume more of them
(and so, you can't sell them ;).
- More spare parts are needed to craft items with the
augmentation and to customize weapons, so during combat your arsenal
will be a little bit less scarce. That coupled with changes to
weapons (including non-lethal ones) increases the game's challenge.
- The dissassembler augmentation which allow to break items into spare
parts now costs 7 praxis kits. Not only did this augmentation broke the
game's economy, it
also broke the game's pace : After every fight with enemy NPCs, you
would just have to drop your weapons out of the inventory, grab the
enemies' weapons, break them into machine parts, take back your weapons
and when in the Prague Hub, sell the parts to the black market
merchants and get a tons of credits.
This is the reason why I made this augmentation require so many praxis
kits to be enabled : Because the advantage it gives to the player is
way too big, plus it breaks the game's pace.
In summary, this mod makes the game harder mainly by balancing
more its gameplay, by improving the IA and by pushing the player to do
Mod Hardcore Revival 1.0 (Original version of the mod)
This is a video presentation of the old version of the mod. It
just changes the augmentations, limits the number of items which can
be carried by the player (As contrary to the version 1.01 and 1.022
where the player
can carry a lots more items), and it
modifies the amounts of xp rewards the player receives when he
missions and do various actions like knocking out npcs.
Download the MOD Hardcore Revival for Deus Ex Mankind Divided
the mod Hardcore Revival 1.022 on Nexus.
the mod Hardcore Revival 1.022 on Moddb.
NB : The installation instructions are contained in the mod's
The Mod Hardcore Revival for Deus Ex Mankind Divided works both with the Steam and Gog versions of the game.
Other page dedicated to modding Deus Ex Mankind Divided :
to mod Deus Ex Mankind Divided (Texts and videos).
Return to the Deus Ex
Mankind Divided Review page.